Autopilot

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Re: Autopilot

Postby Antti_DD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks for informative photos Tom! Before seeing your photos, I was wondering where you can locate that many extra batteries, but indeed there is a good place under the starboard berth in the fore peak. Is your bow thruster also taking its power from those batteries? What is that piece of kit in the fourth photo (Img4) ?

About the photo uploading problems, other forum members have also had some issues with the photo uploader recently. This might be due to the firewall settings, but I am not sure about that. I made a new topic in the welcome section, where I try to describe the whole photo uploading process: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=204

It would be helpful, if anyone having problems with the photo uploader, would comment there and describe if there are some error messages etc. showing up. This way I can get more information for fixing the problem. Thanks!
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby tomblix » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:06 am

I agree that the space under the berth is very suitable indeed. It doesn`t actually steal any space from the storage room, since the batteries are placed on a shelf that I made just underneath the mattress. The batteries are less than 20 cm high, so there`s still plenty of room.

The item on image 4 is the ACU200 "central computer unit". At the moment I have only the AP connected to this, but it can connect and speak with quite a number of gadgets, actually about everything a nerd could think of. Just need to expand the number of Sea talk contacts, and the wizard sets it up!
I`ll probably be connecting the wireless wind instrument that I installed last year. Means I can sail on a "wind vane function". Not sure I`ll be needing it, but I already have it so might as well connect it.

Yesterday I had an idea that I will look into later today, and that I`d like to put on the forum for opinions:
I`m thinking of making a waste-basket under the bench/step out to the far left of the bench. I`m thinking of assembling a waterproof plywood "case" underneath the bench, and using a fein-saw (english?) to cut a square "door" in the bench, that I will attach with hinges in the back - that is in fact forward…. Inside I`m thinking of some arrangement to strap on the garbage plastic bag. To avoid smell from the garbage due to increased temperature from the engine, I`m thinking of insulating it on the outside with normal engine-room insulating material, and maybe on the inside with for instance Litex, a type of wet room plates normally used under tiles in bathrooms etc.

Don´t know if this was possible to understand, but if it was - does anybody have any experience/opinions?
Best regards from Tom

Postby pnp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi Tom thanks for the photos! Looks like a great ordeal to get those cables sorted and out of the way! By the way I would suggest that you do connect the wind function. This would give you the ability to sail to a true wind angle instead of a compass bearing which is a very nice feature to have when sailing upwind or downwind, since it accomodates for wind shifts.
Regards,
Panos.

Postby tomblix » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:54 pm

I`m skipping the waste-basket project. Not enough room unfortunately…..
Best regards from Tom

Postby tomblix » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:37 am

Happy days!!
Yesterday - finally! - Lina was lifted into her right environment. And I`m happy to say that the AP-project was crowned with success. Worked absolutely perfect, and my suspicion of noise from the aft compartment proved to be false. Not a sound could be heard, not even when sailing. So, to conclude, I can definitely recommend this solution :D
Best regards from Tom

Postby tomblix » Sun May 11, 2014 9:57 am

Hi all

As said earlier - the new AP works well. But - I`ve considered to connect the wireless wind instrument to the AP system via the Seatalk ng system, to be able to use a wind vane function. The possibility was there I was told, but now, when I check with salespeople at Raymarine, their answers get blurry. So right now I`m not sure that this can be done. If so, I have to say that it is a bit disappointing. Does anybody know anything about this?
Best regards from Tom

Postby pnp » Tue May 27, 2014 8:44 am

I can't be sure, but after browsing through the autopilot manuals on the Raymarine site, here is my penny's worth. It looks like you can only connect a wind instrument that is compatible with the iTC-5 Instrument Transducer Converter. So I guess the question is if your wireless wind vane is compatible to the iTC-5, something that the Raymarine reps should be able to tell you. By the way, any mention to the wind vane connectivity in the manuals is refering to Raymarine wind vanes which kind of tells me that you might be out of luck. Another thing to consider is that once using the autopilot to steer the boat relative to a wind angle there could be situations when you would like to steer relative to the true wind angle adjusting your sails everytime it changes and not relative to the apparent wind angle which the transducer reports. This, to my knowledge, would imply the connection of your speed transducer to the system i.e. to the SeaTalk bus via the iTC-5.

Postby tomblix » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:22 pm

I`m not sure I understand all this in detail, but one hint is certain, and that is that both the AP and the wind instrument is Raymarine.
With regard to apparent versus true wind angle, I don`t think I understand. As far as my understanding goes, there is no difference between app and true wind angle, as it is with app and true wind speed. My wind vane points to where the wind is coming from no matter what happens. Of course it will be relative to the boat, but that does`t make it app - or is it something I`m losing here….? Could be that if it`s dead still it could seem to be wind from direct ahead when the boat moves forward, but that isn`t worth taking into consideration, is it? Or are you thinking of something else?
Best regards from Tom

Previous

Return to General HR 29 discussion