Buying an HR29

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Buying an HR29

Postby charlienog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:44 pm

hi, I currently sail a Maxi84, but am considering switching to an HR29. I shall be checking out an '84 model this weekend. She looks to be all original and in excellent condition. Are there any specific areas prone to damage; weak spots in the design; really expensive parts to replace etc. that I should look out for? Thanks for your help.

Re: Buying an HR29

Postby Martijn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Don't be surprised to find only encouragement since it's the best experience of quality you will ever have.. if I'm allowed you cry out my humble conviction ;)

I would look at the following items before buying HR 29
Hull condition. Measuring moist content and checking condition of protective layers
Engine state and history
Pay attention the rudder play. There is a very interesting topic on that on this forum
Teak deck condition, wet the deck to check for leaking spots. I'm currently refitting my deck, check that topic for details

Take your time to read through the posted topics on this forum as the respected forum members are considered to post high quality content which is gained from years of experience.

Good luck and congratulations for even considering HR29 :)
Last edited by Martijn on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Antti_DD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:38 am

Hi, Martijn listed pretty well those expensive parts to replace. Of course every boat has tons of items that can be broken, but most of them are not boat specific. Teak deck is one thing that it is not that common at least in boats of this size. Martijn's advice of wetting the deck and then observing if it dries uniformly is definitely worth doing!

One thing that is a bit different in HR 29 in terms of construction and design, is the encapsulated keel, i.e. the iron ballast is integral with the hull and inside the fiberglass laminate. This structure has some benefits in terms of maintenance (i.e. no keel to hull joint to worry about). However, if the keel has been impacted, it is important that the GRP structure has been properly repaired. If the boat is on hard, check that the gelcoat is not damaged on the keel area. While I don't believe that you will find anything, it is a good precaution to check the keel for rusty spots (which would mean that iron inside the laminate is rusting). Check also the deep bilge, that it is dry and the topcoat in the bottom of the bilge is undamaged. If there has been bilge water standing for long, there is a risk that moisture has seeped into the keel. I think that this is not possible to confirm with the moisture meter, so visual inspection of the bilge and keel area is important. Another item is the rudder. Hairline cracks between the laminate and the bronze stock and water inside the rudder are common and known problems. Therefore, check the rudder for evidence of water leaks and cracks as well as play. However, even if you find some, I would not consider that as a deal-breaker, because most of the boats (even modern ones) have similar problems. Just read Chris' guidelines on his his rudder refurbishment project and you know how to fix it ;). In general, I think that the rudder in HR 29 is very strongly made and very unlikely to fail. The mast is standing on the deck, so the mast step should be checked for compression.
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:04 am

Whilst the HR29 is a quality vessel and much sort after, you need to pay the same amount of attention to the same items as on any other boat.

Martijn and Antti have pointed to the important areas. All I would add to this is LOOK and LOOK again.

The build quality of Hallberg Rassy is likely to stand the test of time better than many and will stand up to the harsh conditions. After all they are purchased by the Armed Forces for sail training vessels.

I am however a believer in letting your heart rule your head. You have got to love your boat as any vessel new or old with have issues. Most faults can be fixed and as Antti said don't need to be deal breakers. When I purchased Impulse, I knew she had some issues but I also knew they were fixable. She was a local boat, in the marina I used and so had a value added attraction.

I have a slightly negative view of 'well maintained vessels' as this can mean anything. You just need to use own eyes as best you can.

No doubt if the your interest becomes more serious you will commission a surveyor. To this I would suggest being there during the survey and don't be afraid to ask him lots of questions.

I have had five boats, three bigger, one smaller and this is the best of the lot. They sail beautifully, are easily managed short-handed and will put up with weather far worse than we can. Oh and they look absolutely beautiful! I always feel proud when I step on board!

Best of luck

Postby milsten » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi

Also check out the teak seats from the cockpit. My boat is also from 1984 and these seats are made from multiply with a thin layer of teak. The backsite is not very good protected, so the plywood was completely rotten in some places by the ingress of water. The replacement of the seats was the first job I had to do after buying the boat.

rgds and good luck

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Good choice of boat. In addition to what has been said I would ask when the diaphragm seal was replaced and check its condition. The recommended time period for the Volvo is 7 years and its rather pricy unless you diy.

Postby charlienog » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:35 pm

:D say hello to the latest HR29 owner.

Thank you all for your excellent advice.

It was very difficult to make a proper assessment of her condition as she was in the water and covered in snow, but she made a good impression and the decision was made on that and on the integrity of the seller.

I'll sail her home in a few months time.

Postby Martijn » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Congratulations!! I'm sure you will experience a tremendous amount of enjoyment. And with this forum as a guide I suppose you have access to whatever solution is needed for your boat... except for the snow ;) Good luck with the first trip!

Postby Antti_DD » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:56 pm

That's great news, congratulations! She will definitely take care of you and your crew in style and comfort :)

Feel free to add your new boat to the listing on the "Welcome to the HR29 forum" section if you like.
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby tomblix » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:28 am

Hi

If you want to buy a HR29 - check out this link:
http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/objec ... rough=true

Market for our boats has fallen through the floor here in Norway, so I think there`s a good chance of a good deal. The price asked for this boat is 220.000 NOK, which equals 26.700 euros. Compared to world wide websites selling boats, it may not be that bad…..
If you`d like, I`d be happy to make a few phone calls. My email is tomchrblix@gmail.com :)
Best regards from Tom

Next

Return to General HR 29 discussion