Hot Water

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Hot Water

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Last year I fitted a pressurised hot water system to Impulse. Just wondered how many other members have hot water and if so the layouts would be of interest.

I am part way through finalising the installation as I am still am undecided about running the hot water to the head basin, although I do have all the bits and pieces to do so.

Running off the VP2002, the system works very well and provides plenty of hot water which heats up in about fifteen minutes of engine running and about the same with the 240v immersion heater.

Spending weekends on the boat in the summer, much of the time at anchor or on a swinging mooring without facilities, one has to be a little circumspect with usage but I reckon I use less water now than by boiling saucepans.

Be interesting to know how other members get on with water on board.

Re: Hot Water

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:25 am

Hi Chris,
Interesting topic. Water is always an issue. In terms of volume we always carry additional reserves should we run out of water from the main holding tank.
We have never considered installing a hot water system. For showers we use a solar heated plastic camping shower which is perfectly adequate.
If we were to live on the boat permanantly my wife might require one to be installed.
At this time next year, please let us know if you think it is worth having.

Postby Tentation » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 am

Hi Chris,
on board TENTATION we have not a vhot water system as you intend to install on your boat but a solar heated shower as Dan has.
The advantage of it: it compels you to be careful on the volume :) . Of course it is to be a rather clear sky day to have hot shower even though you don't need a very shiny day.
As mentioned on the solar shower: beware of the excessive temperature the water can gain after a full day under the sun.

Postby tomblix » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:33 am

Hi
I´ve also considered a hot water system, but since we`ve lived happily without in our cabin in the mountains for 10 years, I´ve put the thought aside. We heat water on the stove, as we do in our cabin. Works well for us.

But - what I wanted to mention is that its possible to get a 50 0r 100 litres soft water bag shaped as a Y to fit in the bow. Check out this webpage: http://www.maritim.no/vvs/tanker/vannta ... -100-liter
I´ve been considering this - especially since I now have at sandbag in the bow for extra weight, (something I`m not sure I need….). Could be replaced, maybe?
Best regards from Tom

Return to General HR 29 discussion