Solution requested trash can household waste

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Solution requested trash can household waste

Postby Martijn » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:51 pm

HR29 is a very thought through ship but I did not find any sufficient place to put away household waste. I'm sure everyone is carrying it around waiting for a place to dispose it so it would therefore be interesting to know the creative solutions you found. Currently I'm collecting waste in a waste bag and putting it away in the locker next to the card table. Obviously far from idle not to mention the fact the complete mess when happy sailing a 6 Bft :roll: Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Re: Solution requested trash can household waste

Postby Antti_DD » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:07 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have a very creative solution to share with the forum. But I think the problem is also that the space for waste bin under the galley sink is very cramped, so it fills rather quickly. In marina, this might be a good thing as one is forced to take the waste ashore at least once per day, and not to keep it (smelling) in the boat. However, the problem is true when spending more time on anchorages. Then I just take advantage of the generous cockpit locker space (we don't have a quarter berth) and store the waste there, before it can be disposed.
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby Martijn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:24 pm

Ok Antti thanks for that, I also manage in this way but think there must be a more convenient solution thinkable. I do have some ideas in mind that I will execute when my todo list is allowing it, so will update here later. In the mean time if anyone else happens to have a brilliant idea then thanks in advance for sharing :)

Postby tomblix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi guys
I`ve fixed a webline on the left side of the stairs up to the cockpit - two screws 5 cm apart. I use this to strap around a plastic waste bin with a swinging "saloon-door" on the lid. Inside the bin is a plastic bag for garbage, and the bin is just the right size to fit in between the stairs and the drawers/doors etc. It can be used from the cockpit just by bending down, as well as from the galley. Must be taken of when accessing the bottom stowage compartment below the chart table, but its not in use that often, so I`m happy. Stays in place in rough seas, and stays out of way.
Best regards from Tom

Postby Martijn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Tom, Thanks for your explanation! I seems like you have found a intersting solution although I must say I do not fully get the picture yet. Is the bin located on the galley work top? If you happen to have a picture of your solution it would be a great help.... Thank you for your reply :)

Postby tomblix » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:54 am

Hi
I`ll see if I can take a picture - but the solution is with the bin on the floor on the left side of the stairs when you look aft, meaning between the stairs and the cupboard. :)
Best regards from Tom

Return to General HR 29 discussion