Bringing bikes on the boat

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Bringing bikes on the boat

Postby tomblix » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi all
I`ve fu… up the uploading thing again, and I have to ask Anti to import two pictures from my FB - would you please?
One is just a "funny" picture of Lina hanging in the crane. Not really interesting, but the other might be of some interest.
My wife and I like biking, and when we`re visiting guest harbors we often miss our bikes to get around. So today I made an arrangement to bring the bikes, that suits our not so big boats :P .
The arrangement is more or less self explanatory, but what I can add is that I`ve just returned form testing it. I use the same system as I use on our car - attached to the caravan hook (is this correct english?) Works quite well. A bit hazzle to put the bike up, but nothing that could`t be handled quite easily. It ended up costing a bit though. Around 100 euros. Everything about boats cost a lot.
But - now we`ll be able to bike around, and it`ll make my wife happy, and that`s important!
Best regards from Tom

Re: Bringing bikes on the boat

Postby tomblix » Tue May 06, 2014 6:40 am

sykkelstativ.jpg
sykkelstativ.jpg (148.63 KiB) Viewed 1564 times

I hope I`ve managed the image-posting now. Feeling like a technical fossil…..

In addition to the bike arrangement, the picture also shows to covers - one on each side of the tiller. They are to be lifted and under the starboard one I have the bow thruster control. Under the port side I have the anchor winch. Before I made these covers, they were exposed to sun and rain - not good. Now they`re covered in a good way.

As the bike arrangement shows, the swim-ladder is now not in use. The arrangement can easily be taken off, but as an alternative to getting back onboard after a swim, I`ve made a ropeladder extension to the ladder on the bowsprit. I haven`t tried it yet - the water`s too cold - so I can`t tell how it works but it shouldn't be a problem.
Best regards from Tom

Postby Antti_DD » Tue May 06, 2014 7:22 am

Looking good Tom! Sorry, I have been busy lately with the launch etc. so I missed your earlier post, but nice to see that you were able to upload the photo. Do you carry folding bikes on board? DD's p/o had folding bikes which he kept in the cockpit locker. Well, there wasn't much else in the locker, so plenty of room for the bikes. But with the amount of stuff that we have in the lockers (e.g. liferaft, extra fuel canisters), not a chance to fit the bikes in there. Thus, the only option would pretty much to store them on deck or in the fore peak. Your cleaver solution is unfortunately out of question in our case due to the windvane.
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby tomblix » Tue May 06, 2014 11:28 am

Hi

Yes, I see the challenge with the wind vane. Well - can't win them all!
One of the reasons I chose this solutions is that I don't want these folding bikes. Cycling is my primary source of exercise in the summertime, so I prefer my sweetheart Bianca….
And as you say - there isn't really room for bikes anywhere inside. The port storeroom could be an option, but we keep an extra cooler there (one that I`m not really sure we need…)
Best regards from Tom

Return to General HR 29 discussion