Silly Questions

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Silly Questions

Postby charlienog » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm in the process of changing the interior lightbulbs from the old design of tungsten bulbs to LEDs.

I've changed some and am really pleased with the result: slightly brighter; lower wattage and a longer life than the originals.

But I'm currently stuck!

I want to change out the bulbs in the main (square) ceiling mounted lights, one in the main cabin and one above the heads and can't see how to take down the lights to change the bulbs .... sounds like the basis of a joke. I suspect that there is some form of retaining spring holding the cover in place, but I don't want to use too much force and damage the units. Advice gratefully received :)

Second silly question:

What is the best way to look after the interior woodwork. The polishes available locally have quite a strong smell which would be overpowering if used down below. Any recommendations?

Everybodies got to start somewhere :)

Charles

Re: Silly Questions

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:45 am

Hi Charles,

The saloon light is to me a similar mystery, so I would also be grateful to know the answer to this riddle.

As far as the woodwork below is concerned, HR use a very good quality SATIN varnish and is known as a 'Rubbed' effect. I would recommend not using any kinds of polish because this will undo that effect and you end up with a shiny surface. Also polishes will leave a combination of silicones and waxes making it difficult to make any repairs should they be necessary. A damp cloth or mildly soapy water is all I use or just a plain duster.

Your lighting conversion sounds a good idea and I would be interested in knowing the kinds of LEDs you have used as I too wish to convert all my interior lights.

Cheers,

Chris

Postby Antti_DD » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi Charles and Chris,

First of all, I think that these are good questions! Regarding the saloon light (or the similar one in the heads), I have never opened those covers so unfortunately I cannot help.

Speaking of the lamps, I am also planning to change to LEDs and also change a couple of those lights, since the switches are not working properly. Does somebody know a replacement light for the originals?

Hella 2JA 001 330-001 appears to be quite similar, but not sure if it is exactly the same:
http://www.rexbo.eu/hella/interior-light-2ja001330001
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby Chris » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:22 am

Hi Antti,

Well done for finding this light. Looks very similar to me.

I can't confirm the exact measurements but I would think they're pretty close.

The one over my nav table (pictured) works but there is an amusing delay between switching it on and the light coming on. So Ideally I would like to replace it also.
These incandescent light also get quite hot so replacing with LEDs would be a benefit.

Will have a quick measure next visit to the boat.
cabin light.jpg
cabin light.jpg (119.24 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

a103.jpg
a103.jpg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

Cheers

Postby Antti_DD » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:32 pm

Chris wrote:Well done for finding this light. Looks very similar to me.

Thanks Chris but actually I have to give credit to my blog's reader, who contacted me to ask about the model of the light that he had seen in my blog (the reading/night light behind the saloon settees backrest), because he wanted to install similar reading lights to his boat. However, I could not give him the answer, but he later kindly e-mailed me, that he had found a similar light.

Speaking of the lights, at the moment I have problems with switches on three lights of this type. The switches are either not working at all, or they are unreliable. So I guess that this is going to be a project for the coming winter...
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby Chris » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:33 am

Charles,

Both the small lights and the larger centre light cover just pull off. The plastic shade has little protruding lugs which lock into the outer casing. Mine needed a bit of a tug and they just popped off.

Antti,

The small interior lights are 160mm x 35mm. The Hella lights are 165mm x 35mm. So near enough a perfect match. - Update - Found a picture on line of this light under the same product number - it's exactly the same light!

Chris

Postby charlienog » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks Chris.

I've replaced all of the original bulbs inside Amelie with LEDs, except for the main ceiling light in the saloon - seems really tight and am a bit nervous about pulling the roof lining down.

Pleased with results so far.

Do you plan to replace the external lights with LEDs ?

Charles.

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:29 pm

Hi Charles,

Well done, and yes I would like to replace all the lights with LEDs, both external and internal. I do have an LED anchor light but oddly this knocks out the TV signal.

My internal brass lamps had tarnished badly and a lot of the lacquer had been rubbed off. I spent quite a time machine polishing all six lamps and the looked beautiful….for a few months then they slowly began tarnishing again. I do polish them with brass cleaner but it is a bit of a chore so I am considering changing them all as well.

Choosing the right colour and wattage will also take some consideration, as I am sure you have found. Be interested to know what you settled on.

The centre light cover/shade does come off, but as I said it does need a bit of a effort. Give it a good old tug, I don't think it should do any damage. :|

Chris

Postby charlienog » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi Chris,

Renaissance polish may solve the problem with the brass lamps.

Used in museums to protect exhibits from oxidation and difficult to see when in place.

Haven't tried it on Amelie's lights yet but plan to - has worked well on a brass cooker extractor at home.

Charles
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (82.98 KiB) Viewed 3534 times

Postby Chris » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:25 pm

Why on earth haven't I thought of that before. I use wax all the time on bronze castings for the very same reason, to stop them tarnishing and to protect them. Admittedly they are art bronzes and have surface texture in most case but the principle is the same. I apply it by heating (warming) the object and the wax and either brush or spray it on. It does give a surprisingly durable finish.

It's amazing how something can be staring you in the face but you don't see it. :oops:

Thank you very much Charles, I will give it a go.

Chris

Return to General HR 29 discussion