Kitchen drawers try to escape their position

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Kitchen drawers try to escape their position

Postby Hans » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi everybody,

I am quite a new owner of a HR29. This summer in a strong wind I discovered that my drawers in the kitchen did not stay in closed position when the boat was heeled (sailing in an angle).

How was the drawers originally made to avoid this. Anybody who knows/or who have good ideas?

Thanks in advance Hans. :)

Re: Kitchen drawers try to escape their position

Postby Willem » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:19 pm

hello Hans,
I had this problem too, about two years ago. This was after I had greased the drawer-system in order to have a smooth opening and closing. This was definitely not a good idea! The drawers went out just as you describe. They don't fall out completely because they are just in time blocked by the cabinstairs.

So maybe if you degrease (with benzene e.g.) and than abrade (coarse sandpaper) the sliding parts (wood on wood in the sides of each drawer), the drawers will stay in position. It's worth a try.
succes!
Willem.

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:23 pm

Hello Hans,

I had problems with the drawers on Impulse and had to re-build them.

The sides of the drawers had worn away and kept jamming and also the runners had worn badly.

The runners were originally made from plywood which I don't think was a very good idea so I replaced them with sapele. I also routed away the old worn parts on the drawer sides and replaced these with the same wood.

I hope the picture explains the locking mechanism.

Drawer runners2.jpg
Runners
Drawer runners2.jpg (120.91 KiB) Viewed 2433 times

Drawer 2.jpg
Drawer side
Drawer 2.jpg (164.58 KiB) Viewed 2433 times

There are also ways to have a rod or piece of wood running through eyelets in the front of the drawers to hold them in place.

Hope this helps

All the best

Chris

Postby Hans » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:20 am

Hi again,
I already feel very welcome here and thanks a lot for your replies. I will have to have a closer look at my drawers. Especially I like the suggestion from Chris ... that is kind of what I would like. Talk soon :) Hans

Postby Antti_DD » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi Hans and others!

This seems to be a common problem! Previous owner of our boat has installed a removable elastic bungee cord (similar to the one in photo) to hold the drawers in place while sailing. It is not the most elegant solution, but it works quite well. I tried to find a photo of this in action, but couldn't find one. I try to take a photo of it next time I am at the boat.

Bungee cord.jpg
Bungee cord.jpg (39.63 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby Tentation » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Chart tables drawers escaping their rest position occurs, as said when the boat is heeled, because the locking plastic parts screwed along the runners are damaged and the drawer side as well.
I think that it happens mainly because the users don't lift up the drawer before pulling it back, causing a premature wear of the devices... :oops:
So people on board must be briefed on this point and you will have a long or longer lasting locking system. :)

Postby Naseimwind » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:13 pm

I had a similar issue. Also the respective lock settled in he drawer above. Thus opening the top one loosened the 2nd and 3rd also. I fixed tha by mounting an L-shaped aluminum Profile inbetween drawers. Now they are securely locked and can be opened individually.

Return to General HR 29 discussion