keel accident

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

keel accident

Postby villalonso » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:42 pm

Hello everyone

I want to share with you the accident that happened at "Villalonso" in early August, when sailing near the island of Portichol near Jávea in the north coast of Alicante. By going to drop anchor, we went through a shallow area but initially had sufficient depth. It was not so and going to 3 knots collided with a bedrock. We gave astern immediately and we solve the situation.

The coup made us fear for the boat, but after a first inspection no leak was not found. We continue to our base port and once the boat in dry dock check the damage shown in the photographs. In addition to the keel, the cooked cardan is broken, which has forced us to modify the support, as shown in the photo.

The repair was carried out after three days dry to avoid internal humidity, fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin was placed to recover the shape of the keel, which had previously been machined to clean up the hitting area. It ended with the corresponding layer of protective paint of the hull

Greetings from Altea on the Spanish Mediterranean coast
Attachments
Front view.JPG
Front view.JPG (100.82 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Inferior view.jpg
Inferior view.jpg (75.17 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
cooked new support.jpg
cooked new support.jpg (68.62 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Last edited by villalonso on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: keel accident

Postby Antti_DD » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi Antonio!

Sorry to hear that but it seems like you were able to deal with the situation quickly. It is of course important to check everything after the grounding, but I found it unlikely, that even a hard grounding would result in leak in case of HR29 as the keel is uniform with the hull. However, it is important to dry and fix the keel area properly.

We had similar contact at speed of about 3 knots with Norwegian bedrock in 2011. Here are a couple of photos from DD's keel after the grounding and the subsequent repair.
/Antti

Keel_DD.jpg
Keel_DD.jpg (379.39 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

Keel_DD_repair.JPG
Keel_DD_repair.JPG (85.85 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Re: keel accident

Postby villalonso » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi Antti

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, I think we had the same sense of concern when we aground. No photographs when I noticed the "Villalonso" but from what I've seen in your post, the procedure was the same, using wool fiberglass and epoxy resin. From what we can be satisfied HR29 owner's is that it is a robust and safe ship

best regards.

Return to General HR 29 discussion