HR29 suitable for Mediterranean cruising?

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

HR29 suitable for Mediterranean cruising?

Postby HR29_owner_wannabe » Wed May 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi all,

I guess like all of you here, I am in love with the HR29 and I have a very decent one spotted, but I was wondering if you could help me with some doubts.

Do you consider the HR29 suitable for daily cruising in Spain in the Mediterranean? I am concerned on too weak winds and heat on summer? Does it have good ventilation?

I would also navigate to balearic islands and occassionally to Corsica and Sardinia

Thank you very much in advance for you considerations

Re: HR29 suitable for Mediterranean cruising?

Postby michaelhabernig » Sun May 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi!
We have been sailing the HR29 in the Mediterranean for 30 years now. I´m sure, we are not the only ones. And we enjoyes evers mile of it!
The only drawback may be the "cage" From the cockpit towards the rear. As you are usually mooring "Roman Catholic" style in the mediterranean, i.e. rear towards the mole, the cockpit railing turns out sometimes unpractical. Furthermore, a Bimini top is recommended.
Enjoy sailing the mediterranean and avoid the Mistral!

Re: HR29 suitable for Mediterranean cruising?

Postby villalonso » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Hello everyone

My HR29 "Villalonso" has its base port in Altea (Alicante) on the Mediterranean coast in Spain. My navigation plan is one day to reach a port where I can stay for a while, and then, with the same criteria, I sail to another port, I usually sail between 40 and 50 miles each way.

My experience is that in summer the coastal areas are dominated by local winds, sometimes very serious, especially in the early afternoon until dusk, so for these trips it is advisable to leave early in the morning, taking advantage of the breezes And avoid sailing in the late afternoon, especially on days when the wind blows from the coast (NW).

For sailings of more than 60 miles, such as the journey between the port of Jávea or Denia, to Ibiza or Formentera, in the Balearic Islands, it is always recommended to travel at night or leave very early in the morning.

In the Mediterranean we must be very prudent and constantly monitor the weather forecast. For in less than six hours we can pass from paradise to hell, as I did at the end of last July, when we had to stay in the port of Denia for two days by winds of 40 knots and waves of 3 meters with rain And storm, when the previous day, we were sailing all day with winds of 8 knots, although at the end of the afternoon began to raise the speed of the wind to 20 and 25 knots.

I hope this can help you for your next trip on these coasts, where you can safely enjoy your HR29, as it is an ideal boat for this type of voyages.

In the Mediterranean, sailing in summer, the most important sail is the "bimini", and the most important navigation equipment is .... a good fridge

Best Regards
Attachments
Villalonso - Altea bay - april 2017.jpg
Villalonso - Altea bay - april 2017.jpg (448.57 KiB) Viewed 886 times

Return to General HR 29 discussion