Exhaust Elbow and the inline muffler

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Exhaust Elbow and the inline muffler

Postby Shahika » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Dear all,

I am new to the group, very passionate female sailor :-). I am about to sign a deal on Hallberg Rassy 29, very rare find in West coast US. I had the survey, seal trials- passed with flying colors. I decided to get the almost new (Volvo Penta 2002) engine to be inspected before I sign the closing papers. The mechanic found a faulty design -according to him- which can damage the engine if the sea water on the pipes back flows to the engine. Here is his words below. Did anyone experienced and water in the engine due to this so called faulty design?. My philosophy is do not fix unless is broken but I have to admit he scared me.

Thanks all for your help in advance!!!

Shah-almost thee..

Found exhaust design wrong. There is a large dip in the hose between the exhaust elbow & the inline muffler. Recommendations.

- Remove sea water pump, clean, inspect, & rebuild as needed. Reinstall to engine with new inlet hose & clamps
- Remove exhaust hose and improper muffler
- Install new lift type muffler, & hose, in proper configuration

Re: Exhaust Elbow and the inline muffler

Postby Peti » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi
in the last 10 years I´ve never had any problems with this installation. I think it works fine in all conditions.

Postby Douglas1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Hello

There was a new engine placed in my HR 29 in 2004. Not aware of any problems. If you could post a photo I will compare the exhaust system with the similar fittings on my HR.

Regards
Douglas

Postby Peti » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi this is a photo of my new intallation after repowering in spring this year.
You see the waterlock from Vetus namend NLP. If you want to replace your exhaust hose you can do it like this.
But I also think you have no problems with the old installation.
Attachments
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG (304.5 KiB) Viewed 795 times

Return to General HR 29 discussion