Weight distribution

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Weight distribution

Postby Batavia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:58 am

I have just installed an electric winch and 50 meter of 8 mm anchor chain. (+ 16 kg anchor) When I fill the water tank completely full the boat is leaning forward a lot, there is obviously too much weight in the bow. What would be the recommended weight / lenght of anchor chain for the HR 29 to keep the boat in balance, or should I consider also to take less water in the tank ? Is this weight distribution a known problem with the HR 29 ?

Re: Weight distribution

Postby Tentation » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:03 am

Hi,
A quick calculation of the total added at the bow give a figure of 100+ kg.
Furthermore this is weight located outside of the LWL .
On a rather small boat as HR29, is it necessary to carry a 16kg anchor ?
On TENTATION I have a 12kg anchor, 30m of 8mm chaine + 30m of 14mm warp.
With this configuration, water tank full the boat remains in its lines, no windlass though .

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi,
I would agree with Robert with length and size of chain but I have a 10kg claw/Bruce anchor. I also have an electric windlass run off the engine battery, so no battery up front.
I have no issues with nose down, if anything she's slightly nose up.

Chris

Postby FranklinH » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi Chris, did you modify the electric windlass to run off the engine battery yourself? Do you have any how-to documents on how to do this?

Postby AdminKSys » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:42 am

Hello,
I just baught a 29 and want to sail in the adriatic sea.
In this area an anchor chain less than 50m is not useful, because normally we have to anchor 30m offshore on 15m depth.
For us I expected to raise the chain from 30m to 60m but I think 6mm chain should be enough.
At the moment a manual Lofran windlass is installed and I want to change to an X1 (700Watt).
When I read your post I ask myself how I can realise my thoughts without getting the same problem.
I expect to run the windlass with the auxillary batteries astern supported by the alternator while using it and replace 20m chain with 30m warp.
Please post how you solved your issue.
Greetings,
Sascha

Return to General HR 29 discussion