Radar

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Radar

Postby SimonK » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:58 am

Hello,

I'm considering fitting radar to our HR29 Carpe Diem No 440 based in Weymouth and am trying to decide between pole mounted astern or on a mast bracket. Whilst the mast mount should have an operational height advantage I was wondering if any other owners had experience of this and reasons for their preference for pole or mast mount?

Simon

Re: Radar

Postby Tarka Dubh » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:36 am

Hello Carpe Diem
I don’t have any experience of mast mounted radars, but I fitted a pole mounted system on my HR29 about ten years ago and have been very pleased with it. The range is more than adequate and I use a combination of marpa and ais on the plotter, which gives me all the information I need for channel crossings etc.
My boat is also based in Weymouth/Portland, having moved there last year. If it helps, I would be happy to show you the installation when lockdown is over.

You probably don’t remember, but we did meet in Weymouth many years ago when you had just bought Carpe Diem.

Best regards

Tarka Dubh (no. 155)

Re: Radar

Postby SimonK » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:31 pm

Hello Tarka Dubh,

Funnily enough I saw HR 155 on the hard when cycling past recently, and thought I'd come and introduce myself when next passing if you were there. My wife & I bought the boat last September so it must have been the previous owner you met previously. Thank you for the information, and the offer to meet/have a look at your installation after lockdown, which would be really good.

Simon

Return to General HR 29 discussion