No Sea water filter

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

No Sea water filter

Postby Frodo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi!

Just bought a HR29 this fall and during conservation (in water) before winter i experienced there is no seawater filter. In my previous boats i have filled fresh water and conservation fluid into the filter instead of losen hoses. Any experiences with this and does the Volvo Penta MD7B not require a filter for holding back objects from the seawater? Is it possible to add a filter with no extra hazzle? - or not neccessary...

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Re: No Sea water filter

Postby Mallemuk » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:07 pm

Frodo wrote:Hi!

Just bought a HR29 this fall and during conservation (in water) before winter i experienced there is no seawater filter. In my previous boats i have filled fresh water and conservation fluid into the filter instead of losen hoses. Any experiences with this and does the Volvo Penta MD7B not require a filter for holding back objects from the seawater? Is it possible to add a filter with no extra hazzle? - or not neccessary...

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Hi Frodo

My HR 29 with it's original VP 2002 engine has no sea water filter. I asked a Volvo Penta shop if they would recomend that I fitted a sea water filter and the reply was this: "If the engine has been running successfully with out a filter for 30 years, there is absolutely no reason to fit one now...".
It makes sense, I guess - depending on were you sail.
It is no big job to fit a filter - if nescesseary.

Kind Regards,
John

Postby Frodo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:23 am

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. When you write it that way it sounds so obvious :-). I do not know the history of the motor and these boats so glad to hear that the setup current normally just works fine.

BR Frode

Postby Sirius » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:53 am

Hi, Interesting? Can't really help regarding the need, but my original 2002 (1988) does have a sea water filter. Never gets much weed or molluscs inside. I did note however that the part list for the MD 7b does show a small strainer in the intake line. Perhaps that is all that is needed.

Regarding cockpit lockers it may be worth talking to HR. Yours is an earlier model - on mine the teak is mounted (usual screws and dowels) into a glass fibre locker lid.

Good luck
Tony

Postby Frodo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Thank you Tony for quick reply. I will check with HR if they have glass fibre locker lids that fits my build number. And the pricing of course...

BR Frode

Return to General HR 29 discussion