Lazy Jacks/Stack Packs

Any comments, questions, stories about HR 29, this is the right place.

Lazy Jacks/Stack Packs

Postby Sirius » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:25 pm

This winter I have ordered a replacement main sail (genoa replaced last year). The sail will be fully battened and have the Selden OWS car system - should prevent battens twisting when raising/lowering the sail. I have not as yet ordered a Lazy Jack or stack pack. In 30 odd years of sailing I have never used the system. Does anyone have experience of using them? Do they work? I rarely sail single handed but usually lightly crewed (just 2 0r 3 of us).

Many thanks,
Tony

Re: Lazy Jacks/Stack Packs

Postby Iangibson » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:37 pm

Tony
Petrel came with a stack pack and lazy jacks so I now have three months experience!
I have found them easy to use; need to be absolutely head to wind when hoisting main to prevent batons catching and care needed when reefing to prevent reefing lines from catching around clew end of stack pack baton.
I have had one drama when sailing with full main beating into 25 knots of breeze. The clew outhaul slipped, the main bagged and the lazy Jack parted. It was probably ready for replacement but timing could have been better.
Hope this helps.
Ian
Petrel no 471

Re: Lazy Jacks/Stack Packs

Postby Sirius » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks Ian. Useful comments.
The OWS system should allow the battens to twist and accommodate not being perfectly aligned to the wind. With conventional slides I have found the odd snag if not perfectly aligned. Certainly on raising, when I tend to have a crew member at the mast, not so much when lowering. The OWS system should allow smooth operation with no jams both up and down.

I can see the potential issue on reefing - something to think about.

Winds have been strong this year and I too have often been beating into F6/7. I tend to start reefing around 15-20 it’s! Makes life more comfortable.

Thanks for the response, good sailing for next season.

Tony

Return to General HR 29 discussion