Webasto service

Maintenance and refit discussion

Webasto service

Postby Chris » Sat May 12, 2018 6:50 am

Just serviced my Webasto and found the part that causes the most problems is now available on Ebay for as little as £2 or £3. I am talking about the burner gauze.

It does mean you have to completely dismantle the heater and burner assembly but for such a cheap replacement part it’s worth the effort.

It’s actually very easy to do, all you need is a set of Torx screwdrivers.

Then carefully prize open the burner tube clips and remove the old gauze. It’s this that clogs up and the burner tube then becomes inefficient with carbon deposits and finally it may fail to ignite.

It all cleans up very easily and nothing else should need replacing.

Prior to discovering this I was told the burner assembly would need to be replaced circa £100 plus labour!

Heard it all too many times before to fall for that one.

IMG_0761 copy.jpg
Burner assembly disassembled
IMG_0761 copy.jpg (293.32 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

Re: Webasto service

Postby michaelhabernig » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 pm

Hi Chris!
Where in the boat did you place your Webasto?
I´m in the Adriatic, but I have to kick out the broken petroeum heating and replace it with an efficient one. So, I can prolomg the sailing season.
Do you think, it makes sense to place it in the same spot like the old petroleum heating, i.e. above the toilet? Or what makes sense?

Postby michaelhabernig » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:38 pm

Which type of Webasto do you use?
I tend to place it in the same place the petroleum heating used to be . Do you think this is a good idea?

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:40 pm

Hi
I'm not familiar with the petroleum installation. There is evidence of a heater in the head but has long gone.

I have located the The ST2000 heating unit in the top of the starboard cockpit locker. It is a little bit of a squeeze to get to install and service it but it doesn't compromise the general use and storage of the locker. It is also out of the way and quiet in the cabin.
I bonded a plate to the hull and then fixed the mounting plate to that. It has worked very successfully over the last few years with a considerable amount of use. I have the air intake (air which is to be heated and fed back to the cabin) drawn for the cabin NOT THE COCKPIT LOCKER!!!!! THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT!!! as fumes can leak from the exhaust piping and silencer. Also do not use the cheap small silencer, buy the more expensive but much safer long silencer from a reputable dealer.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers,

Chris

Postby NilsM » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi Michael,
seeing as Chris already posted a detailed response this might not be necessary anymore, but there is a whole topic with pictures dedicated to the installation of the Webasto heater in the locker. It can be found in the maintenance and refit section under "Hot air heating" (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=249).

Cheers,
Nils

Postby michaelhabernig » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:58 am

Thank you Chris and NilsM for the perfectly useful hints to theWebasto installation :P ! In case of further questions, I hope, I can come back on your experience! ;)

Return to Maintenance and refit