Teak deck rebuild/refit completed

Maintenance and refit discussion

Re: Teak deck refit in progress

Postby Martijn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:10 pm

At this stage the slats are glued to the deck and the starboard side is almost finished. This week the whole deck will be completely glued and early next week the sanding can start. The deck will be having some improved features regarding the drainage which I'll detail in a later post. So far the work is progressing according to plan and within two weeks time I should be able to update the result.
Attachments
Starboard.jpg
Starboard.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

Postby Antti_DD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Looks very good, can't wait to see the photos of your new, sanded teak deck. With polished hull, repainted stripes and renovated teak deck, I am sure that Quint will look like a new boat. Remember to enjoy and take a lot of photos while the deck has that nice brown colour, since I guess that after few months in the sun it will turn grey. However, there is nothing wrong with elegant silvery teak deck in my opinion, but a 'fresh' brown coloured teak has a nice, different appeal as well.
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby Martijn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:03 pm

True Antti, the brown color doesn't last unfortunately so will have to enjoy it for as long as it stays. To compliment I will also sand the toe rail plus the roof hand rails. At this stage the deck is completely placed back and waiting for the rubber and plugs. The end is in sight and indeed I can't wait to sail my brand new 32 year old ship :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.6 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
image-1.jpeg
image-1.jpeg (133.18 KiB) Viewed 1749 times

Postby Martijn » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:19 am

A step further in the process and almost ready to unwrap the present. The deck has been rubbered and is now waiting to dry. In the mean time the toe rail was completely sanded and the coach roof hand rails were varnished and placed. The rails were just like our economy in a recession and no longer discoloring nicely for they were showing black spots. This treatment should add a couple of extra years.
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (151.21 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (157.96 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (121.19 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (139.43 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Last edited by Martijn on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Chris » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:01 am

Another impressive post Martijn. You must be getting really excited now!

The project is moving at a real pace. How many people are working on your deck?

Will the overfilling now be sanded back? Do you know if the rubber was applied with special caulking guns? I tried this method once, using ordinary cartridges of rubber and when I sanded back, I noticed a few exposed air bubbles in the rubber. That's why the last bit of repairing I did, I used the finger smearing method. Very messy though!

Look forward to the next stage, as I am sure you are.

Postby Martijn » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Chris, all the work on the ship is done by one person at the time and indeed progressing in a nice pace. The caulking gun that was used is hand pressurized which should give a homogeneous result. As you can see in the following pictures the plugs have been placed with epoxy and are curing at this moment. Next step is to cut the plugs and rubber overfill just above surface and then the sanding can start.
Attachments
image_3.jpeg
image_3.jpeg (128.09 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (155.05 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
image_2.jpeg
image_2.jpeg (131.56 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Last edited by Martijn on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Martijn » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Ok guys it's done, the deck is finished :D Unfortunately I had to place my winter cover over it today so will not be able to enjoy much of it until the end of march. Please take a look at the pictures of today and hopefully you'll like the result.
Attachments
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (141.02 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
photo 6.JPG
photo 6.JPG (121.42 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (135.29 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (149.06 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (129.53 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
photo 9.JPG
photo 9.JPG (111.88 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (119.12 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
photo 7.JPG
photo 7.JPG (134.47 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
photo 10.JPG
photo 10.JPG (119.11 KiB) Viewed 1731 times

Postby Antti_DD » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Wow, the teak deck looks great Martijn! Congratulations. I think that this topic and of course the work that you have done is a great example, that always there is no need to install a new teak deck. I definitely think that this option is a good choice both in terms of ecology and economy. It would be interesting to hear an estimate of the costs of this kind of project.
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Re: Teak deck rebuild/refit completed

Postby Martijn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks Antti! I certainly have no regrets reusing the old teak slats but bear in mind that some of the minor repairs are visible as they were treated with grey epoxy. In time when the deck will fade gradually into a silver grey the repairs will merge into it making the overall picture uniform.

About cost; I must say that if you are looking to undertake this refit one should realize prices will vary very much between different builders.
When you build new (using new teak) prices can vary between Euro 6.500,- up to Euro 12.000,-.
For a refit = re-rubbering and sanding without re laying the entire deck, prices vary between Euro 1.500 and Euro 4.500,-.
For this job (total relay of deck with existing teak) I have made a deal including the help of myself for various actions of the rebuild. Therefore the total price was less then Euro 4.000,-.
If anyone has intentions to undertake a similar project I can really recommend it! When you are handy and have time to spare then offer your help, it'll save money, ecology, is very instructive and fun? Before you do please take the following criteria into consideration;

- Are the old deck teak slats healthy and thick enough for reuse?
- Is it possible to take them all of in one piece?
- Is the underlying deck in adequate condition?
- Try to avoid the use of screws. Therefore the plugs can be milled deeper so they won't work themselves out of the slat easily.
- Does the selected craftsman have proper know how and will he use the right products? (check out the compatibility of caulking as discussed earlier in this topic)
- Make a fixed price contract so you will not get surcharged for additional work!
- Use your time inside the workshop also for activities that require dry conditions such as re-paint of the blue stripe.
- Do not underestimate the labor that is consumed by the deck fittings. Removal took quite some time but refitting them was more of a challenge. Especially the preparation and sealing of the holes takes time, not to mention the exorbitant amount of 100 pieces nuts, bolts and washers from the genoa rail :roll:

I need to make a correction about the earlier estimation of labor hours, for the rebuild 100+ hours should be calculated. In hindsight I think this project was good value for money and would definitively do it again in this way. Good luck to all of you who are considering this project and don't hesitate to contact me for additional input.
Last edited by Martijn on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Re: Teak deck rebuild/refit completed

Postby Tentation » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:09 pm

So beautiful, congratulations Martijn!
I'd like to have your opinion about the minimum thickness necessary to re-use the slats ?
On my boats some of them have reached 7 or 8 mm and that's after sanding the under face. are they still available to carry out a job like yours ?

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance and refit