Teak deck rebuild/refit completed

Maintenance and refit discussion

Re: Teak deck rebuild/refit completed

Postby Tentation » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:09 pm

So beautiful, congratulations Martijn!
I'd like to have your opinion about the minimum thickness necessary to re-use the slats ?
On my boats some of them have reached 7 or 8 mm and that's after sanding the under face. are they still available to carry out a job like yours ?

Postby Martijn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks for that Tentation, I think 7 or 8 mm is rather tight. The limit should be considered round 10-12 mm due to the body needed for rubber and plugs. It is though not impossible to work with this tight dimention but realize that the deck needs to be sanded afterwards as well. Sanding is consuming app. 1-2 mm so that leaves you with somewhat 5 mm. Now also the slats have interconnecting edges of about 3 mm where no rubber will be present. This results in only 2 mm of rubber filling in the actual groove and I think that will make your deck rather veunerable. QUINT's slats were 11-12 mm and after the job 10 mm remains leaving not enough space for screws.
Attachments
Edges.jpg
Edges.jpg (73.91 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
Last edited by Martijn on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Tentation » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:03 am

Thank you for the reply Martijn.
When I asked about the thickness minimum requirement, I must say that I had strong doubts about the possibility of re-using them because as you said more tickness will go in the sanding process.
At the moment I am working on the deck between the anchor locker and opening deck hatch, because there is an ingress of water through the ventilator hole. After removal of the ventilator and the central wood piece I had to face a bigger problem than anticipated: this central pièce is no more sticking on the substrate, consequently water found its way and drip inside the front cabin :? .
So I removed this piece. The glue stick very well to the wood but not on the deck. This deck area is slick, no anti-slip pattern and is in recess from the anti-slip area. I found that a layer of putty was laid on in order to compensate for the difference of level , I guess. Unfortunately the glue has not had a good adherence on that putty. May be not properly sanded and cleaned before applying the glue.
Now I have removed the central teack piece and the other lateral parts where there is this putty under. The slats are still well glued on the deck outside the putty area.
As it is too late in season now to have a complete overhaul of the deck, my intention is to have a contingency plan to stop ingress of water.
The thickness of wood under the ventilator is 12mm which is, I think, the original thickness of the brand new deck. That means that half the thickness has gone whithin 25 years. As yours is about 10mm thick you might be right when you considered that it was not laid by HR.

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Tentation, I had a similar problem and made a GRP tube inside the ventilator which comes up to the level of the top of the teak and bonded it into to the aperture. Water was coming in under the teak.
diag1.jpg
diag1.jpg (112.62 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

Postby Elad » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:24 am

Hey,

Congrats for your project Martijn, it looks very very good.

Grand Illusion has been under the scorching Israeli sun for many years and as a result the teak deck looks awful, it is probably the next big project.

I'm afraid that much of the teak is to worn so I can't undertake a project like yours.

Did you or any other member of the forum calculated precisely the square meters of teak deck that the HR 29 has? my rough estimation would be 6 square meters, excluding the cockpit.

Does anyone have an accurate measurement?

Best regards.

Elad

Postby Tentation » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:54 pm

Chris wrote:Tentation, I had a similar problem and made a GRP tube inside the ventilator which comes up to the level of the top of the teak and bonded it into to the aperture. Water was coming in under the teak.
diag1.jpg

Thank you for the input Chris, I had something similar in mind; Now I got the right sketch :)
From your sketch it is easier now for me to explain that the water found its way in between the teak and the adhesive.
It is this adhesive that was laid on the slat and on a layer of epoxy putty spread in the middle part of the GRP deck but unfortunately not sticking to the putty.

Postby Martijn » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:34 pm

Tentation since I had no ingress of water I was not triggered to modify anything round the ventilation. What I did was treat the inside of the hole (wood) with epoxy and then I mounted back the ventilation with a generous amount of sealant just in the way I found, only double this time. The same was done with the new water deck filler. This time I took a Stainless steel deck filler as the chrome coating from the original was completely worn away.

Chris your drawings, I assume you make them yourself, are really clear and explanatory. Do you use special software for it, or are you are very skilled paint user?
Attachments
Deck holes.jpg
Deck holes.jpg (156.81 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Last edited by Martijn on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tentation » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks Martijn for the time you are spending on this topic for the benefit of the community.
What you did on the hole was my initial thought.
Now with hindsight and Chris nice sketch I'll prefer his method, and for all the other holes in the deck if possible.
To my opinion HR yard should have done it........... at least as you did.

Postby Merenkuiske » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi Martijn

You've done good job. I'm having exactly the same project as you. I've just got the slats off and I'm
starting to sand the deck after our winter here in Finland gives up a bit.

I've one question to ask you; did you fill up all the screw and other holes? Epoxy filler?
I've planned to use the same screw holes filled with epoxy (+ screw) when fitting teaks again.
Comments?

All help highly appreciated.

all my respects !!
Jarmo (HR29 #127)
Last edited by Merenkuiske on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jarmo

Postby Martijn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi there Jarmo, thanks for that! Here is what I have done; Obviously the teak slats were getting thinner after this action and it seemed that just 10 mm would remain after the final sanding treatment. I needed to decide to not use screws. The reason why is because now the plugs can be milled deeper so they won't work themselves out of the slat easily. After the holes were milled through the entire slat the plugs were indeed fixed with expoy and are unlikely to every come out.

So basically my whole deck is now fully glued down without any screws. To get a strong bonding of the adhesive on the GRP the deck was treated with expoxy primer.
Attachments
IMG_20140219_213918.jpg
IMG_20140219_213918.jpg (98.76 KiB) Viewed 1977 times

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance and refit