New electrical panel

Maintenance and refit discussion

New electrical panel

Postby Elad » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Hello all

I can't say I had any major problem with my old panel, maybe only the fact that when I unscrewd it in order to look at the wires at the back I couldn't understand a thing- it was one big mess of wires, very difficult to diagnose a problem etc...

So... I built a new one, I'm currently sailing in Cyprus, I found here a trustwourthy electrician that helped me with the project- he made a new panel using a cnc machine and installed all the fuses, switches etc'.
I have rewired all the wires that go back of the panel.

I attach some photos of my original panel, along the years, bcs more instruments were added to the yacht, one of the previous owners installed an addition to the panel.

The best "byproduct" of this project is that I can wholeheartedly say I'm familiarised with every single wire on board.

Elad

IMG_0393.JPG
original with extension
IMG_0393.JPG (76.05 KiB) Viewed 826 times
IMG_0392.JPG
the orginal
IMG_0392.JPG (76.26 KiB) Viewed 826 times
IMG_0394.JPG
New panel
IMG_0394.JPG (122.3 KiB) Viewed 824 times
IMG_0379.JPG
New panel
IMG_0379.JPG (70.66 KiB) Viewed 824 times

Re: New electrical panel

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:51 am

Impressive panel Elad. Very neatly arranged with plenty of switches. I also built a new panel but only managed to design in twelve switches. Wished I had seen yours before I did mine. I had to buy new gauges as there were only two and a blank and I wanted to add a third but couldn't find the old VDO gauges anywhere. I assume you had three on the original panel.

I too found a heap of spaggeti stuffed behind the old panel including old defunct wiring which took and age to trace, only to find dead ends. Still it was worth doing as apart from becoming familiar with what goes where, I also found suspect wiring and terminals which could have failed.

How brave are you to show the reverse side of your panel? That was the bit that I found so difficult. Making a tidy job of the wiring yet keeping it loose enough so you can pull the panel out for access was very challenging as space is rather limited.

Mine was CNC as well and making a commitment to labelling was challenging as space for the description was limited. One I chuckle at as I have a two way switch and it says 'STEAMING DECK LIGHT' - well I know what it means. Up for steaming light, down for deck light.

On another note, I don't want to be critical but I can see in one of your photos, one of your cabin lights which looks a little tarnished. Mine were in a similar condition and I considered replacing them all but the cost was too high. So I took them all off and had them polished by a friend who is a metal polisher. You wouldn't believe how they came up. They are solid brass and the lacquer cracks and comes off over time. The brass then tarnishes and corrodes. Metal polishers can remove all of it down to good shiny brass. I didn't have them re-lacquered. It does mean they need polishing once a year but that's no problem over a rainy summer weekend. I did the same to the clock and barometer.

Chris

Postby Manel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Esta muy bien Elad. Ahora estoy en la misma circunstancia de adecentar y mejorar el cuadro original . Este tiene tres indicadores : voltimetro, nivel de gasoil y cuenta-horas motor. Le faltan los mas importantes , bajo mi punto de vista. Son sensor de doble señal, para temperatura de agua y alarma a 85-90º,Actualmente solamente tengo alarma a 95ºC. Y el tambien sensor de doble señal para indicacion de la presion de aceite y alarma de unos 0,8 bar . Por supuesto que tanto los relojes como los sensores seran de VDO. El coste de esta mejora no sera muy elevedo, ni tampoco el tiempo. Lo que mas tiempo me llevara es decidir por el tipo de material emplear en los interruptores. No creo que coloque magneto-termicos, son caros y te limita mucho las opciones de variar el valor de su aplicacion. En fin, creo que habra quien piense diferente. Mi barco tiene el num. 19 de HR 29. Y pondre especial interes en mantenerlo lo mas fiel y parecido al original, aun teniendo que modificar el cuadro. Ya colgare fotos con el resultado. Saludos a todos.

Postby paerfredrik » Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 am

Hi, the new panel looks great!

Does anyone have the original black cover for the panel? Mine is cracked and I would like to replace it.

Best regards Pär Fredrik

Return to Maintenance and refit