Repaint blue HR stripe and polishing hull

Maintenance and refit discussion

Repaint blue HR stripe and polishing hull

Postby Martijn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:57 pm

While my boat is yet inside the conditioned work place for teak deck refit I thought it was a good idea to work up the hull. In the mean time the prepared deck can take it's time to dry and cure. At this stage I have polished the free board first and then taped off the blue stripe, HR's significant trade mark. Today I finished the painting which I did with a 2K coating system and a the indispensable helping hand and craftsmanship from my good old dad. I'm very satisfied with the result, please check out the pictures.
Attachments
IMG_3087 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3087 (Medium).JPG (130.93 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
IMG_3081 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3081 (Medium).JPG (133 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
IMG_3066 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3066 (Medium).JPG (111.14 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
IMG_3084 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3084 (Medium).JPG (131.27 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
IMG_3091 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3091 (Medium).JPG (104.23 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
Last edited by Martijn on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Repaint blue HR stripe and polishing hull

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Beautiful job! I envy you your workshop. It's to bad that HR wants >€ 55 for the gold decals. They should hand them out for free seeing the marketing we are doing for them.
Please could you mention the paint brand, color number, amount used and price.
Looking forward the next deck update.

Postby Martijn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi Dan, the paint I used is a 2K system from 'De IJssel' coatings in Holland called double coat. They produce high quality coatings and have the HR color just as a standard. The high gloss paint is merging fantastically and is easy to apply. For Euro 60,- you buy a kilo which is more then enough to paint all the stripes two times and still have a bit left for a rainy day ;) Please follow this link to check if they sell internationally; http://www.de-ijssel-coatings.nl/english/home.html
BTW I did buy the expensive Decals as we do not have much choice right.
Attachments
IMG_2990 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2990 (Medium).JPG (69.49 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
IMG_3061 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3061 (Medium).JPG (62.98 KiB) Viewed 3579 times

Postby Tentation » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:53 pm

This blue paint is now avalaible from HR parts ( see new products)

De Ijjssel Paint code 30583 was used until approx year 2010.

De Ijssel Paint code 35136 is used from approx year 2010.

Hallberg-Rassy Parts provide only the current paint, code 35136.

y Re: Repaint blue HR stripe and polishing hull

Postby Martijn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi Tentation, remarkable that you have this piece of info since I quite recently bought the 30583 color which did not seem to be a discontinued product. Did HR change it's color spec as far as you know?

Postby Antti_DD » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Looks very very good Martijn! Dolphin Dance's stripes were also painted by her previous owner, and I think that the colour of our blue stripe might be a bit darker. I am not sure if the original HR paint was used. I cannot say, that I am totally satisfied with the quality of DD's paint job, since the colour is already a bit faded and not very glossy. Of course the paint might be five or six years old, so it is not that new anymore. Your stripes look on the other hand very glossy and one cannot tell no difference to the gelcoat.

If ever undertaking a similar job, I might even consider using blue tape on the stripes instead of painting them. My previous boat had taped stripes, and they stayed glossy as new for many years. On the other hand, I also understand the idea of preserving the boat in original condition and therefore re-painting the stripes.

Did you use rubbing compound for polishing the hull since it looks very good as well? I did similar project last year, when DD spent winter in a shed. The boatyard had some nice gadgets there which I got to borrow, so I used their polishing/sanding machine to apply Farecla's rubbing compound to the hull and coachroof. The job was finished with Autoglym's Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection. It was quite large project but I was pretty satisfied with the end result.

DD_polishing.jpg
Applying rubbing compound
DD_polishing.jpg (42.39 KiB) Viewed 3527 times

Polishing machine.jpg
Polishing/sanding machine
Polishing machine.jpg (48.66 KiB) Viewed 3527 times

Autoglym_super resin.jpg
A foam pad was used for applying the wax
Autoglym_super resin.jpg (41.65 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby Martijn » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:37 am

Antti, I have seen you doing this before the forum was alive on the DD blog, looks great also!! It's nice to share the same passion. If I remember correctly you also put quite some effort into the bottom (underwater ship). Would be great if you could dedicate a topic to that some day.
The blue stripe of QUINT was also becoming dull and had some markings of old letters from previous owners. For sure this is something you want to get rid of for it makes old spirits linger. I really think the double coat two component coating is worth trying. It's praised for it's long lasting gloss and super tough surface. Complete ships are painted with this stuff and it's remarkably well merging into a uniform surface that just looks like the (white) gel coat. I have spilled a drop and it took forever to get it off, don't wait until it's fully cured cause the only measure for cleaning is sanding :shock:
Further I used the product Unipol for polishing and next week will treat the hull the PTFE wax from Starbrite for it has very good reviews.

Postby svenja » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:37 am

The stripes look brilliant! So I bought the original De Ijssel colour, the golden decals and Blomma has a warm place to stay in. Now I am thinking about the sanding of the blue stripes: First of all I have to remove the glue from the old letters. Do I use acetone? Then I have sandingpaper p280, that is what De Ijssel suggested. But it seems to be very soft. How do you do it exactly? By hand? Wet? With a machine? Which grain size?

Looking forward to ideas,
svenja

Postby Willem » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:24 pm

About the colour of the blue stripe.
Indeed Hallberg Rassy used one colour before 2010 (DC 30583) and one -slightly different- after 2010 (DC 35136) .
DC means Double Coat (from De Ijssel)

It is good to know that both colours are still available ! (So I was told in a mail by De Ijssel)

So the original colour of the HR29 must be DC 30583.
(and of course you can also use the 'modern HR Blue' colour DC 35136 if you prefer so)

Return to Maintenance and refit