Thinking about replacing cabin table

Maintenance and refit discussion

Thinking about replacing cabin table

Postby Martijn » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:20 pm

I guess the inspiration for this topic comes from Elad's Grand Illusions cabin table. Before this forum was launched I have been surfing the net for inspirational HR29 pics. While going through it I stumbled across pictures of 'Grand Illusions' cabin. The pictures I found were actually mainly from the cabin and bringing a feeling across you were looking at a cosy pirate ship from the past (does this relate to the Grand Illusion?). Besides the fact I loved those pictures I spotted a very useful feature which I am considering to install on Quint as well. If you check below picture you see that the original table was replaced by a smaller turnable/movable model which is standing on a single tube support.
Now the downsides to the original table are that it is rather bulky and immovable which takes away a lot of space in the cabin. The positive sides are obviously the bar ;) and the fact that the table can be opened/extended to accommodate extra guests but in my opinion the actual moments you have a boat full of hungry sailors are rare. Now back to Elad's solution, the table clears an enormous amount of space in the cabin and it seems like you can take/turn it away just like the cockpit table system. If this is true it provides even more room for late night romantic dancing which is great. Further I like the idea of extra leg space when relaxing after a rough sailing day.
Dear Elad feel free to comment on this topic as I'm talking about your invention here sorry. I'm really curious how you came up with the idea, where you got the parts and how it is holding up, thx in advance.
Attachments
img_0121 (Medium).jpg
img_0121 (Medium).jpg (69.12 KiB) Viewed 2583 times

Re: Thinking about replacing cabin table

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:09 am

The credit is not mine to take.

Postby Elad » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:52 pm

Hey Martijn,

The photos of Grand Illusion that you stumbled upon were published by her previous owner and he is the one who should get the credit for this set-up of the table in the cabin.

Actually, I switched back to the original table- I live full time on board and it was more convenient for me having the original table, I took the cabin table and installed it in the cockpit.

I do have to admit that having the small table in the cabin made it much easier to move around...

Since I installed the small table in the cockpit few years ago the wood itself cracked and broke and few weeks ago, when I was still in Turkey for the installation of the teak deck the carpenters also made me a new table for the cockpit.

I guess that the the base and the poll of the table can easily obtained in any chandlery, I saw them in most of the ones I visited, the table itself is just a plate of wood you can cut to whatever size you please.

Here is a photo of the base of the table, i installed a flat one but for the cabin you can get a conical one, that way you don't have to cut the floorboard just connect it with screws.
Attachments
table.jpg
table.jpg (160.9 KiB) Viewed 2509 times

Postby Willem » Sun May 31, 2015 7:55 pm

Some pictures of the Lagun table leg in the HR29 cockpit. It's very easy to install. I used an old table top from what I think was the original table of HR. It had a terrible wooden folding leg which left no space for your feet.
The Lagun table leg comes with clear instructions and just the screws and plates you need.
IMG_5797-2.jpg
IMG_5797-2.jpg (745.34 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

The base plate of the table is permanently placed in the cockpit. You need two plastic wedges to get it in the right angle. There's also a backing plate.
IMG_5800-2.jpg
IMG_5800-2.jpg (521.79 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

The table is very felixible in use and you can also 'park' it as a kind of side table.
IMG_5803-3.jpg
IMG_5803-3.jpg (916.71 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

IMG_5804-2.jpg
IMG_5804-2.jpg (881.72 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

IMG_5809-2.jpg
IMG_5809-2.jpg (699.08 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

It's simple to store.
IMG_5805-2.jpg
IMG_5805-2.jpg (694.46 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

IMG_5808-2.jpg
IMG_5808-2.jpg (580.13 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

I'm happy with this table; it's very handy and the quality of the used materials etc is excellent.

Postby Antti_DD » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Hi Willem, thanks for many good photos. We have exactly the same cockpit table and have also been happy with the mobility of the table in the cockpit. I also think that its size is pretty optimal for this boat. The only problem is that the lower handle/screw is broken. The threads are damaged probably by over-tightening so it cannot be tightened anymore. Therefore I use a piece of wood under the table leg to get it at the right height.
Antti Laine, Forum Administrator
HR 29 # 483 "Dolphin Dance"
Blog: http://sydolphindance.com / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sydolphindance / Twitter: https://twitter.com/sydolphindance

Postby Willem » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi Antti,
Such a handle can be bought in the HR webshop:
http://www.hr-parts.com/contents/en-us/p956.html
I saw this by accident in your last post about the bilge plug (!)
Willem.

Postby charlienog » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:11 am

Hi,

I've replaced the standard HR29 table with the Lagun table. Although not as pretty as the original, it gives far more space in the salon and makes getting in and out of the port bunk much easier.

I have a second mount in the cockpit and transfer the table from salon to cockpit as required.

We find this a good practical alternative to the original set up.

Charlie

Return to Maintenance and refit