New Teak Deck

Maintenance and refit discussion

New Teak Deck

Postby H:son_383 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:35 pm

:D Our S/Y Havfruen got a new teak deck.
Made by Vakuum Teak i Väst/Adam Boat Care, Vindön Sweden.
Attachments
18.jpg
18.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

Re: New Teak Deck

Postby John S » Wed May 03, 2017 2:22 am

Beautiful job!

How do you deal with water in the fiberglass deck core?

Postby H:son_383 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:46 pm

Hello John S
On starboard and port side, you have two original drainage through the teak deck via pipe and the hull.
See http://www.hallberg-rassy.com/sv/batar/ ... g-rassy-29

Postby John S » Fri May 05, 2017 3:19 am

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. I was referring to water which has made its way into the foam core of the fiberglass deck by way of the screws and other fittings in the original teak deck. I have heard of opening up the fiberglass deck and drying out the foam inside to removing some of the foam and using epoxy to rebuild the structure. Did you have to do much of this? Your new deck without the screws sure looks great.

Postby charlienog » Mon May 08, 2017 12:26 pm

The new teakwork looks really good.

I wont ask whether it was expensive, but - how expensive was it :)

Regards,

Charlie

Postby H:son_383 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:48 pm

John S wrote:I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. I was referring to water which has made its way into the foam core of the fiberglass deck by way of the screws and other fittings in the original teak deck. I have heard of opening up the fiberglass deck and drying out the foam inside to removing some of the foam and using epoxy to rebuild the structure. Did you have to do much of this? Your new deck without the screws sure looks great.

Hello John. The boat were totaly dry, no problem anywhere. :D

Postby John S » Wed May 10, 2017 5:27 pm

That's great to hear. I have been interested in buying a sistership but the deck has been one of my concerns. It seems determining the extent of water penetration, if any, is hard or impossible to do unless the teak is pulled up. I understand that moisture meters are not very useful on a deck of teak over cored fiberglass. Hearing of your findings is positive input.

Postby H:son_383 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:48 pm

charlienog wrote:The new teakwork looks really good.

I wont ask whether it was expensive, but - how expensive was it :)

Regards,

Charlie

Hi Charlie
The total cost for the teakwork and done with pressure of vacuum, not screws. We have paid aprox 100'sek.
In addition we also made some other renewals.
But it´s worth it :D

Postby H:son_383 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:52 pm

John S wrote:That's great to hear. I have been interested in buying a sistership but the deck has been one of my concerns. It seems determining the extent of water penetration, if any, is hard or impossible to do unless the teak is pulled up. I understand that moisture meters are not very useful on a deck of teak over cored fiberglass. Hearing of your findings is positive input.

Hi John
Try to test some scew hole all around the deck. Also try the screw of the rail forwarder.
:ugeek:

Postby charlienog » Thu May 25, 2017 10:02 am

Its a lot of money - but the work was carried out in Sweden (not the cheapest place for work of this kind) and the result is amazing, it will transform your boat :)

Next

Return to Maintenance and refit