Sails: Laminate vs Dacron

Maintenance and refit discussion

Sails: Laminate vs Dacron

Postby charlienog » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:22 am

I'm in the process of changing out the sails on Amelie.

I've received competitive offers from sail lofts for both dacron and laminate sails.

The laminate sails appear to be better in all respects apart from cost - they're more expensive!

Does anyone have direct experience of laminate sails on an HR29?

I'm also considering going for a 110% furling genoa rather than the 135% genoa currently in use, as I sail short or single handed most of the time and accept that I will sacrifice some (potential) speed for cleaner tacks.

Regards,

Charlie

Re: Sails: Laminate vs Dacron

Postby Peti » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi Charlie,
I use DCX Laminate from DIMENSION-POLYANT. It is a cruising laminate. It has low stretch and is durable. It is laminated with Polyester tafetta on both sides.
I use it for the mainsail and the G3 and G1. The profile is very good an the boat is sails faster and tacks better. I never will use the normal dacron sails again.
Far well

Postby charlienog » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for the input :)

I decided to go with the Epex laminate sails, with a 120% genoa.

Charlie

Postby Peti » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi,
My120% furling genoa is making of Hydra Net from Dimension Polyant. It works also fine and it is easy to handle.
I think Epex is a little bit overdone and expensive.
Regards

Postby Douglas1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Hello

I also interested in this. I thought laminate had only a lifespan of a few years, whereas dracon is much longer.

Regards
Douglas

Postby charlienog » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:12 pm

As I I understand it laminate sails have been developed over a number years to make them durable (10-15 years, depending on how well they’re looked after) and resistant to mildew growing between the layers.

There is a strong connection between Elvstrøm and HR, who supply their boats with Elvstrøm sails.

The performance of the laminate sails is better than the Dacron sail, as the laminate stretches less under load and after use, which translates to less heel and more driving force through the life of the sail.

I am interested in cruising rather than racing but have been assured that the laminate sails make great cruising sails, that plus the end of season discount convinced me to give them a try.

Charlie

Return to Maintenance and refit